top of page

Mobile Food Vendor

In order to operate safely and legally, all mobile vendors that have a fuel source must be inspected and approved by Wellington Fire Protection District. A fuel source includes but may not be limited to a generator and LPG (propane) container. Additionally, all cooking that produces grease vapors must have a Type I kitchen hood with an automatic suppression system.

These requirements are enforced locally and across the country, and are from the International Fire Code and NFPA standards. The term “mobile vendors” includes enclosed trucks, vans, pull-behind trailers and push carts. It also includes vendors whose operations include sales other than food.

New in 2021 is a reciprocity program that includes all fire departments in Larimer County that are inspecting food trucks, as well as three neighboring fire departments in Weld County. When a mobile vendor obtains a fire permit, the permit is accepted at all participating fire departments through Dec. 31, 2021. The vendor pays only one fee for a permit that is good at all seven participating fire departments. These fire departments joined together to make the process easier for the mobile vendors, and Larimer County is the only county in the state currently offering the fire department reciprocity.

  • What fire departments are participating in the reciprocal permit process?
    Estes Valley Fire Protection District – 970.577.0900 Frederick-Firestone Fire Protection District – 303.833.2742 Front Range Fire Rescue – 970.587.4464 Loveland Fire Rescue Authority – 970.962.2471 Poudre Fire Authority – 970.416.2891 Wellington Fire Department – 970.413.2508 Windsor-Severance Fire District – 970.686.2626
  • What is the cost for a fire saftey inspection and permit?
    Permitting through WFPD is $75 and is good for the calendar year. In addition to the $75 inspection permitting fee, WFPD also requires a $25 Annual Opperating Permit.
  • How do I get my permit?
    Complete the Moblie Food Vendor Application and email it to, along with photos of all four exterior sides of your vehicle and the interior (if it’s an enclosed trailer, van or truck). We’ll use that information to make sure we know the requirements that pertain to your operation, and then we’ll schedule an inspection of your vehicle.
  • Why are mobile vendors required to have a fire safety inspection?
    Mobile vendors, or “food trucks” as they’re commonly referred to, typically have fryers, griddles, ranges, grills and appliances fueled by propane or gas generators. Leaking flammable vapors can result in fires or explosions, injuring not only the food truck operators but also customers and other mobile vendors. Fire code requirements and inspections reduce the risk for all. In 2014, a food truck explosion in Philadelphia caused by leaking propane killed the two occupants of the truck and injured 11 nearby customers and pedestrians. The explosion was caught on security camera: We don’t want something like this to happen in our community.
  • How often do I need to get a Fire Permit?
    Fire permits are good for one calendar year, and must be renewed annually.
  • Do I need to have my compressed gas cylinder inspected?
    Yes, cylinders are required to be requalified, or replaced every 5-12 years depending on the cylinder type, condition, and previous requalification method(Ref. 49 CFR §§ 180.205(d) and 180.209). The original manufacture/test date and any requalification/retest dates must be presented in a specific manner. Cylinders that are overdue for requalification must not be refilled. If propane tanks are manufactured to ASTM Standards and built into the truck’s body making it difficult to remove, then these tanks are exempt from the DOT reinspection requirements.
  • My mobile unit doesn't use a generator or propane. Do I still need a fire permit?
    No, but you do need an annual opperating license, and possibly, a county health inspection.
  • Mobile Food Vendor Fire Safety Training
    Commercial cooking operations can pose a fire-safety risk due to the combination of heat, fuel, electricity and the production of greasy vapors. In order to increase the safety of cooking operations in mobile food vendors, Wellignton Fire Protection District (WFPD) recommends that all staff undergo the following training. Preventing Emergencies 1. Store cooking oils properly: Keep cooking oils in their original containers or puncture-resistant, tightly sealed containers that are labeled. Store containers in well-ventilated areas and away from combustible supplies (paper, plastic, wood), food, food preparation areas and any flame sources. 2. Practice good housekeeping: Store paper products, linens, boxes and food away from heat and cooking appliances. Properly dispose of soiled rags, trash, cardboard boxes and wooden pallets at least once a day. 3. Remove grease: Exhaust hoods must be cleaned regularly (at least as often as recommended by the manufacturer), as grease buildup can restrict airflow and can cause or accelerate a fire. Clean all vents and filters, interior walls and work surfaces (ranges, fryers, broilers, grills and ovens). 4. Discard ashes: Remove ashes from wood-burning or charcoal ovens at least once daily. Use chemicals properly: Chemicals should be used in a well-ventilated area and mix chemicals only if it’s their intended use During an Emergency 1. Learn how to use portable fire extinguishers: All mobile food vendors are required to install at least one Class ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher in the cooking area, and cooking operations that produce greasy vapors must have a Class K extinguisher. All employees must be familiar with the location of the fire extinguisher and how to use it. 2. Never put water on a grease fire: Water thrown on a grease fire will cause the grease to splatter and likely spread the fire. 3. Prepare an emergency plan: If a fire breaks out in the food truck, staff must take control of the situation. All employees must exit the vehicle and lead customers to a location a safe distance away. 3. Shut down: Staff members must be trained in how to shut off propane and electrical power in the event of an emergency.
bottom of page